Personal Tips for Making Baby Food
Introducing solid foods to any baby is a challenge and requires a lot of persistence and trial and error. I’m sure though that many parents will encounter some of the same challenges that I have in my attempts at getting my daughter to try new foods. Here are some pieces of advice that I hope you will find useful.
- Make sure that some of the first foods you offer are easy and inexpensive to prepare. Once your baby is hooked on one favorite food it may be difficult to get him to eat anything new. (My daughter will still only eat avocado for lunch and whines if I try to give her anything different).
- Always start with small batches of new foods because most likely many foods will be wasted in the introduction process.
- Start slowly. Once you find one food that your baby enjoys try to gradually mix a little bit of a new puree into it so that he will get used to the new flavor.
- Don’t get frustrated. If your little one won’t eat a new food try again in a few days. It is amazing how much can change in such a short time.
- Don’t force your baby to eat foods that he isn’t interested in. Try to get him to take a little taste and he will let you know if he wants anymore. I find that if I can get a little bit on my daughter’s lip she will lick it off to see if it is something she wants.
- Have fun with this time in your life. You are introducing your baby to a whole new world of taste experiences and it is your job to make it a fun and enjoyable experience.